Friday, January 27, 2017

Showing Love Through Dessert

I'm absolutely in love with baking. I like bringing joy to people through pastries. Is it your birthday? Have a cake. Did you have a big test? Have some cookies. Is it Tuesday? Have some scones. Fresh baked bread, anyone? What about extra frosting from scratch? Are you gluten-free? No problem. I got you. Lactose-free, nut-free, everything-free? No worries. I will show up at your door with food made just for you.

One time in college, I baked five cakes for my own birthday and went door to door giving cake away. Another time, I baked five batches of chocolate chip cookies for a group of exhausted students. And yet another time, I showed up at a friend's door with their favorite cookies because they texted me that everything sucked. I do things like that all the time.

There isn't a lot I can physically do. I can't always wake up at 4 AM to help a friend in need, as sometimes my medication makes me dead to the world in the night. I can't help anyone move as I can't physically lift anything heavy. I can't babysit a young mother's kids, as I never know when I will fall or get horribly ill out of nowhere. But I can make amazing desserts and I can show up at your kids' soccer game with snacks or feed you homemade fudge while you cry over a break-up or feed an army of movers with homemade pizza and brownies. I can't do much, but I can show love to my friends in the best way that I can.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go frost the layer cake I have made for some new friends who are coming over tonight. And then maybe make some cookies. Or fudge. We will see. But it's definitely all going to get paired with ice cream sundaes.

No comments:

Post a Comment