Thursday, March 2, 2017

Learning To Be Okay: Hostage Negotiations

This is another Learning To Be Okay post. A reminder that these posts are for me to help myself work through the issues that I am facing in my mental health battle and I will not be offended if you can't read further due to issues of your own. Be safe, loves. TW: Self harm, abuse, suicide

One of the major problems I have is that I cannot buy nice things for myself or do any basic self care without feeling an incredible amount of guilt. There is a tiny, evil voice in my head that tells me that I am not worth it. That I don't deserve it. And I'm talking anything from makeup to clothes to skincare to expensive medications to bath supplies to basic groceries. I don't deserve to put fruit I like on the grocery list. I don't deserve to ask for a gallon of milk if my husband isn't going to drink over half of it. Sometimes it even tries to convince me that I don't deserve to take my pills on time. I haven't suffered enough for the day, so I should put off taking my heart pills. I am well aware that it looks ridiculous on paper, because of course I should eat and take pills and have clothes without holes, but please understand that this tiny evil voice is so convincing and so present in every decision I make throughout the day that I have moments of weakness where I believe it. It is exhausting to continue a running dialogue with it all day, every day. But the lesson I have learned about this voice is that it is not the voice of rationality. It is not the voice of reason. It is not the voice of truth. It took a very long time to learn this lesson, and I have to continually remind myself that no, this voice is not one to listen to and take advice from. The day I realized this lesson, it felt like I'd awakened from a nasty nightmare. Before I realized what was happening, my inner dialogue went something like this:

"I'm thirsty."
"You just had a drink fifteen minutes ago. You don't deserve another sip of water for at least another hour. Do some damn work for the first time in your life."
"True. Okay. What more can I do?" *Works self into exhaustion* *Dehydrates self* *Doesn't understand why self is always sick and why self cannot just rest*

Many times, the disgusting voice would try to openly convince me that I didn't deserve to be alive. I'd breathed enough air for the hour, I'd hurt enough people, I was gross and disgusting and the world had tolerated me long enough. I was ill from EDS, yet no one believed me and I was told how horrible and attention-seeking I was. Wouldn't it be better to just end everything than to hurt my loved ones with my supposedly fake illnesses? You see how convincing this nasty voice can be. The first time I tried to kill myself, I was 11. The knife was going toward my body when my mom unexpectedly came home and I was afraid of being caught and dropped the knife and ran to the bathroom to throw up. I know it doesn't make sense, but I didn't go through with it because I didn't want to burden my mom with finding my dead body in the kitchen right when she came home. Several other times that year, I waited until the house was asleep, said goodbye to my stuffed animals, put the blankets over my head and then held my breath until I passed out, trying to will my body to kill itself. Thankfully, it did not work and I woke up and sobbed, partly from not knowing why I wanted to die so badly, and partly because I was still alive. I could never tell anyone about these things, because that would be burdening more people, and that was unacceptable.

Once I realized that this voice was out to destroy, not help, my dialogue changed. I no longer willingly let it control my life. It feels like a hostage negotiation with my body as the hostage and myself and the voice as the opposing parties, but it is so much better than blindly listening. For example, as I sit here, I am running a dialogue in my head that goes something like this:

"I'm thirsty."
"You just had a drink fifteen minutes ago. You don't deserve another drink for at least another hour."
"That's bullshit and you know it."
"...Is it? Are you sure?"
"I'm thirsty, my water is right next to me, I'm going to drink it."
"You need to finish this blog post first. You haven't earned a drink until you hit "Publish."
"Screw you." *Takes drink of water* "Oh, I have to use the bathroom."
"It doesn't hurt yet, you can wait. Or are you so weak you have to put your disgusting self in the bathroom more than once a day?"
"That...makes no sense. I'm going to the bathroom."
"Ok, fine, but good luck taking a shower today because you haven't done any housework."
"...Ugh."

I am aware of where this evil voice came from. I won't get into a lot of it here, mostly because I'm afraid to hurt people who may have unwittingly contributed to it. But I will say that I know that it stems from my fears of inadequacy, my inability to be perfect all the time. I will also say that if you have any interaction with children at all at any point in your life, encourage their uniqueness and their individual abilities, talents, and personalities. Be loving and safe. When children feel that the adults in their life are not safe unless they perform a certain way or act a certain way, it feeds that nasty voice that I would not wish on anyone. Children start to withdraw, which is sometimes mistakenly viewed as a sign of maturity. A child with no personality to speak of is a terrified, hiding child, not a well-behaved young person. You might be surprised how the children under your care actually grow if you prove yourself to be a safe adult. And if a child trusts you enough to let you see their true selves, do your damndest to not violate that trust. Teach your children not to bully. Bullying is not funny, it is not something all kids do, you are literally screwing with people's lives. Take your role as a parent or teacher or caregiver or relative or someone who sees a child occasionally seriously and be a safe person.

I am looking forward to getting more tools for dealing with this nasty voice from my new psychologist and possibly controlling it a bit more with medications my new psychiatrist might supply. But until then, I will continue the hostage negotiations.

No comments:

Post a Comment