Sunday, March 26, 2017

We Are The New Warriors

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that I need to create a soundtrack playlist for my life. Doing the kind of things that chronic illness and mental illness warriors do on a daily basis requires superhero movie music. I mean, honestly. Someone without these things won't know how hard it is to fight with your own body and/or your own mind. It takes so much energy to get out of bed, brush teeth, style hair, make food, and other things that able-bodied and neurotypical people do in their routines. (I'm not sure if neurotypical is the proper term, as these things change a lot. What I mean is someone who is not fighting a mental illness. Feel free to correct me in the comments if the term has changed, and I will use the new term in future posts.)
Tonight, I looked over the reading my Psychologist has given me. I set my alarm to get up in time to get ready to go to my first Group Therapy session, prescribed by my Psychiatrist. I took my evening mind and body medications in order to be able to survive the night. I looked over my prescription papers that say that I medically need a wheelchair starting now. And all I could think as I did all this was action movie music swelling the way it does in every good action movie and the main character (me) saying epically, "Let's do this!" followed by the bass drop and subsequent fight music.
When we say we are warriors, we do not take that term lightly. We are not being overdramatic. We are not applying labels to things that don't deserve them. Someone who fights as hard as we do is a warrior. These illnesses take our blood, sweat, tears, friendships, families, future hopes, saliva, organs, awareness, and whatever else they want. And we fight tooth and nail to keep as many of those things as long as we can.
We are many. We are mighty. And if we ever get completely better, we'll dominate the world. But for now, we will take naps and continue to fight when we wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment